Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Of Demi - Gods and Quests

                               Demi - Gods, Greek Gods, The whole Greek mythology comes to life and not to mention the sword "Anaklusmos" well all of this can be found in the "Percy Jackson & The Olympians" series by Rick Riordan. I accept when I started reading the book i thought it was just another cheap rip off of "The Harry Potter" series. But when I actually read it was nothing like Harry Potter and it was actually good in its own right. The storyline was fun, original, and surprisingly accurate to the original myths. My knowledge of Greek mythology is limited, but after researching some things I didn't remember, it turns out Riordan knows his stuff! After a while, I began to trust him and quit looking things up on Wikipedia.


                    The first book introduces us to Percy Jackson, a young boy who always has strange things happening to him. He eventually winds up at Camp Half-Blood where he learns the truth about his parentage. His father, turns out, is an Olympic God. Apparently the gods get a little frisky for human mates, creating half-blood children with powers. Percy is thrust in "hero-dom" and must save the day. Of course, there is a prophecy about his future, which adds to all the mystery and suspense.

                        The second book, The Sea of Monsters, picks up a year later. This was my second favorite of the series, since the storyline was so familiar. We see a lot of the myths and legends rampant in Odysseus' tale from The Odyssey, and since we all know that I love Homer, I loved every moment of this. It was excited and captured the essence of the monsters and villains perfectly. When Percy encounters Circe? I was in love with that chapter.  


                             The third book, The Titan's Curse, was my favorite of the series. It picks up the story later on, and we begin to see a new maturity and strength in Percy. I am always bothered by series where the main character shows little growth, especially over a period of time. But Riordan made sure to have his characters grow, and that is clear in this novel. There are scenes where Percy is challenged to do things he never thought he could-that shows growth.

 
                             The fourth book, The Battle of the Labyrinth, was my least favorite of the series. While the writing was certainly good and captured my attention, I had a hard time getting into the story. Perhaps it was the way they story developed, but in certain areas, I felt the story was rushed. In other places, I wanted more action. I also was not a fan of the character Rachel. I think she took away from the action and pace of the story. I was also unhappy with the fact that I didn't get the answers I thought I deserved. I wanted more.


                                  The last book, The Last Olympian, was the perfect ending to a superb series. It made up for the last book with powerful passages and gripping action. I was flipping pages as fast as I could read them. I couldn't wait to see what would come of the prophecy, who would win in the last major battle, and what would happen to Percy. I was sucked in.The battle scenes and action were non-stop. It comes close to the Battle of Hogwarts from my favorite fictional battle of all-time. I loved the scenes in New York City. But more than anything else, I LOVE how Riordan brought his series to a close. The answer to the prophecy was perfect and fitting to the growth and change Percy underwent throughout the series. I couldn't have asked for a more satisfying ending. 


                          So if you have been avoiding this series thinking they won't be any good, or that they're silly, or that they're trying too hard, you need to set those thoughts aside and give them a try. I found them to be fun, action-packed reads that did something original. And did it WELL. And for those who love this series there is another series that continues from this storyline.

"Seven half-bloods shall answer the call.
To storm or fire the world must fall.
An oath to keep with a final breath
And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death."

This is the prophecy by which starts the next series "The Heroes of Olympus"

                        The story begins with Jason , who wakes up on a school bus with no memories about who or what he is. On the bus with him are Leo Valdez and Piper McLean, the other two major characters of the book. The three are apparently enrolled in Wilderness School, a school for “bad kids” and are on a field trip to the Grand Canyon with classmates. Of course, the biggest problem is that Jason doesn’t remember anyone on the bus – including himself. He has a sense that something is horribly wrong and that he doesn’t belong there. This is only the beginning of Jason’s problems as one of their classmates turns out to be a venti, a wind demon sent to kill the demigod teens. 
                       
                           The three are rescued by a disgruntled Annabeth, who has been searching for Percy, as the heroic son of Poseidon has gone missing. The three don’t know where Percy is, let alone who he is, and so they are taken back to Camp Half-Blood for their protection – and so that they can be claimed by their godly parents. The three friends are thrust into an entirely new world with amazing and unbelievable circumstances. Jason’s memories have been stolen by one of the gods, and for some reason he keeps referring to them as their Roman names. Piper has a secret that she’s carrying around; her father has been kidnapped and she must decide between betraying her friends and letting her father die. Leo is also carrying a secret, his rare godly abilities were possibly the cause of his mother’s death. All of this and they find themselves on a quest, fighting monsters, meeting gods, and outsmarting famous figures from Greek mythology. 
                                 Overall, the story is very well written. The style is a little different than the Percy books in that it’s written in third person instead of first and that different parts of the story focus on one of the three main characters; but everything ties in together nicely. It’s an interesting concept that the books propose with the discussion of the idea that the gods have both Greek and Roman aspects to them, and perhaps have had mortal children that follow the Roman aspect of the gods and go to a different kind of camp for demigods.
                      The characters are easy to like and have a great dynamic. The inclusion of familiar characters from the Percy series such as Annabeth, Chiron, and the Hunters is also a nice touch that helps to tie this series into the previous. Rick Riordan is obviously a very creative man, and I think it’s fantastic that his books not only tell entertaining stories, but help to teach younger readers about history and mythology.
                                                        If you were a fan of the Percy Jackson & The Olympians series, then The Lost Hero is a book that is definitely worth picking up. Even if you haven’t read any of the previous series, this book has more than enough great storytelling to hold its own.

                       Another great story to the Heroes of Olympus series has been added. Rick Riordan's newest book, The Son of Neptune, was certainly worth the year long wait.

                Percy Jackson has been asleep for eight months and has finally awoken, without memory of his past. Similar to Jason Grace's story, The Son of Neptune takes place in the Roman Camp, and is told in the point of view of three different characters: Percy, Frank and Hazel. It tale starts with how Percy, son of Neptune, gets to find the Roman camp to the long awaited reunion. Only not quiet.

                    Personally, I don't like the whole 3 different character POV thing. I know it's in 3rd person, but I'm just so accustomed to one POV from the Percy Jackson series. At least these characters are much more tolerable than last books. Okay, that's a lie. The only I couldn't tolerate was Pipper, but there's no Pipper in this book!

                 Frank, newly recruited Roman demi-god, he's kind of that awkward, shy kid that is really nice, but is always messing things up on accident and no one really talks to him. His parentage kind of comes in a shock, but not really if you pay close attention to his description. And don't trick yourself into believing that Frank is the underdog, because this guy is full of secrets and surprises. Just wait, you'll get to like him!

                 Hazel, she has some secrets of her own. I'm starting to think that all Hades' kids have the same kind of story, because there really seems to be some kind of repetition going on. At first, her curse might not make much sense to you, but just hang in there! The truth will be told! And she's not annoying like Piper! I found that really exciting! There were only little hints of romantic thoughts and I really liked the way we got to learn about her past. But come on Rick Riordan! This girl has gone through a lot, and yet you do that thing, with Leo?! Cruel. Just cruel.

                  Percy. Our hero has not changed! Well, only a little. I found that he made kind of silly comments when he first arrives at camp, and for a moment I was afraid he'd been dumped down. But quickly the reader gets to see flashes of the good ol' Percy and everything is made right with the world. He quickly rises to his true leadership position, which is great. You learn a lot more about what the future has in story of this kid, and of course, his love of Annabeth was still strong! What else would you expect? But I swear, this guy knows like everyone. So watch out for those cameos! Let's see if you can guess who they are before their identities are revealed (and in some cases they aren't!)

              Octavius. The bad guy we all love to hate. Couldn't have made his character any more easier. I mean, this guy kind of gave me the bad vibe just from his description. The second he opened his mouth I knew I wasn't going to like him. And I don't! So well done Mr. Riordan, you have written your story well.

               Reyna. She's so cool! She's that girl who is, strong, cool, collective, smart and athletic. She's a great praetor and I wish her the best of luck. Hopefully, we'll get to see more of her in later books.

              The writing wasn't much different from the last book. There were definitely parts were I felt the story was lacking something. I felt this one was less exciting that The Lost Hero, but it was good in its own way. Of course, there were parts were I was like freaking out and hyperventilating, but there were also others were I kind of just skimmed the paragraph because it wasn't that interesting. There are references to books from the PJO series, so I hope you guys remember what happened. And I'm not saying references from the last book, some maybe be as early as the first three books. I also didn't think the gods were as funny in this book, but that's also because their Roman forms are much more serious. The difference between Greek and Roman way is definitely noted. It's even pointed out to the reader, to prove the point. Their lifestyles are so much different! I mean, they're like polar opposites! Questions campers have had about the after-life of campers will surely be answered. And by after-life I mean life after camp, if they're not killed by a giant or a gryphon before hand that is.

              Let's thank the gods that Rick Riordan added a glossary to the book. I mean, near the beginning I was rather lost with all the Roman talk. Sure, I'm widely educated in the civilization of the Ancient Greeks (I wrote many term papers on them) but my Roman knowledge was lacking a bit. And it just seemed so odd to me that there was Roman talk. After six Greek books, you get used to Greek terms.

               The ending will keep you shocked. Mostly because you can't believe it just ended right there! Then you get past the glossary and there's that little note that says The Mark of Athena, Fall 2012. That's one whole year away. How the meeting between the two groups goes, if there's tension in the air or if they're accepted. I've probably already said enough, so you guys will just have to read it to find out what I mean.


No comments:

Post a Comment