Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Alternate Universes??? : Sci-Fi at its best


“There is much I need you to understand before I go.” - September from "The End of All Things" Fringe Season 4 : Episode-14. 

I wasn't a guy into TV series to be frank and two of my friends started talking to me about Fringe and 'lo here I am with all the 4 seasons in my laptop and a great fan of Peter Bishop. Hari and Sathya these two are the one's who told me about fringe and got my curiosity get the better of me. and so it started 

 To all those who haven't seen Fringe : Fringe is a television drama centered around a female FBI agent who is forced to work with an institutionalized scientist in order to rationalize a brewing storm of unexplained phenomena.  

To be honest my feelings about this show were very low after watching the pilot episode. Technically well done with good production values, but the story seemed drawn out and derivative and the characters didn't really grab me, especially the female lead (played by Anna Torv). But there was enough there that was intriguing to make me watch another episode, then another, then another. It took a while to get going, but a little over halfway through Season 1 I realized I was becoming eager to view each successive episode. Yes, at first there were many similarities to other genre shows (after all, they all draw water from the same well) but by the end of Season 1, Fringe was successfully carving out its place among the greats. It really hit its stride in Season 2 which picked up the pace with some very skillful and effective writing. There were still some momentum shifts while toggling between episodic and serialized storytelling, but the characters had come into their own and the intensity increased significantly. And Season 3? Absolutely Blew. My. Mind. So much so that I'm really stoked to see how they're going to top it.

The show has consistently delivered incredible production values, but it is the depth of the storytelling and the characters that are the meat and potatoes. There is real emotional resonance here with themes on trust, intimacy, sacrifice, and family. Something I find lacking in a lot television programs these days. And, yes, there is also plenty of mystery and suspense. The cast (and *guest* casting, good god!) is indescribably fantastic. And I've done a complete 180 on Anna Torv and the character she plays. The actress is phenomenal and there are reasons why her character is the way she is. I've grown to really love her.

This is long-view storytelling at its best and attentive viewing can be very rewarding. You get lots of breadcrumbs pertaining to the overarching "mythology" spread throughout the series, starting with the very first episode and the payoffs are huge. If you are a fan of intricate well told science fiction (with an emphasis on FICTION; some of the actual science can require fanwankery at times) or just a fan of really great character based drama and suspense, then you should definitely give this series a try. Be forewarned however that the series can get pretty bloody gruesome at times (if you care about that sort of thing).

All and all, I'm really glad I stuck with this one or I would definitely be missing out. It has turned into must-see TV for me and now am really mad at those two for introducing me to Fringe cause the last episode out was "The End of All Things" and there wont be another episode till March last week.

3 comments:

  1. Fringe is one of my favourite tv series; in fact, I even adore the opening sequence!
    I like this appreciation post though, "The End of All Things" was awesome; I don't like this mid-season break, but at least they ended it with a band!
    By the way, love the AC/DC, but it pretty much drowned the music I was playing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah i love the fact on how things happen jus when u think it cant get any better it does but waiting till march does make me feel down... Thanks for visiting :D

      Delete
    2. Did you read the LOTR book review??? let me know how it is??

      Delete